As computer hardware configuration constantly upgrades, the same operating system launched by Microsoft has two different version – 32bit version and 64bit version. Most users don't know the differences between the 32bit operating system and 64bit operating system, so you can learn some basic knowledge about it.
1. Different available software. Currently, the common 64bit software is much less than common 32bit software. Besides, most 32bit operating system works in 64bit operating system while 32bit operating system is not compatible with 64bit software.
2. Different design intentions. Being designed to meet the requirements of fields such as mechanical design and analysis, 3D animation, video edition and creation as well as scientific computing and high-performance computing applications, 64bit operating system have mass internal memory and high floating-point performance. 32bit operating system is designed for common users. Although many common users also use 64bit operating system at present along with the development of the operating system, this situation doesn't match the original design intention.
3. The computing speed is not the same. Compared with 32bit operating system on 32bit CPU, the speed of 64bit operating system on 64bit CPU is twice as fast as that of 32bit operating system in theory.
4. Differences between configurations. 64bit operating system can only be installed on 64bit computer (the CPU must be 64bit). And only common 64bit software can embody the best performance of 64bit operating system while 32bit operating system works in both 32bit computer and 64bit computer. Certainly, on the 64bit computer with 32bit operating system, system software fails to take full advantages of hardware configuration, preventing 64bit computer from working at the best state.
5. Addressing abilities are on two levels. The advantage of 64 bit CPU also is embodied in the control of operating system on the internal memory. Since address is written by special integer, ALU (Arithmetic Logic Unit) and Register can process larger integer (larger address). For instance, Windows Vista x64 Edition supports internal memory as large as 128GB and virtual internal memory as large as 16 TB, but 32bit CPU and operating system can only supports internal memory within 4G.